Friday, November 3, 2017

October 2017 Highlights Part 2 - Thoughts on a Few Classics

            Consider this a “Twelve Days of Christmas” deal. I don’t care if it’s November already. Halloween isn’t over until I say it is. On with the highlights from October 2017 and some essentials. I’m trying not to lose my motivation here, so bear with me.

Part 2 – Thoughts on a Few Classics


John Carpenter’s The Thing

            Since I’ll be covering John Carpenter a little bit more later, I’d better get to this one first. Last Halloween, I hosted a livetweet double feature of both the 1951 and 1982 versions of The Thing with the #Filmistines. Since then, one of my other fabulous co-hosts has featured it two more times, one of those during this October. John Carpenter’s remake of The Thing is nearly a perfect movie. I didn’t see this one in the theater, but I saw it perhaps a dozen times shortly thereafter when it ran on one of the cable channels from around 1983 and upward. Like many movies I saw on cable at that age, however, no matter how much I worshiped some of them, The Thing was among those that I didn’t see again for many years afterward. I never forgot its magnificence, but I never came back to it. I never rented it at the video store or bought it for my collection, and I didn’t see it again for nearly fifteen years until it finally turned up again on the Encore channel. I was an active kid, and I got distracted by a lot of shiny things. From a visual standpoint, it had some of the best horror effects I have ever seen, and it’s a movie I should have seen more often than I have. Even fifteen times isn’t high enough, and it doesn’t matter if it’s Halloween or not. Easily one of my top fifteen movies of all time and maybe even higher on the list.

I Walked with a Zombie

            Before George Romero changed the face of popular culture’s definition of the zombie, I already had some film experience with the traditional concept of a zombie. When I wasn’t able to see a lot of horror movies on television or in theater, I turned to the local library for books on movies. I can’t recall the titles of a few of them, but I loved finding books filled with poster and lobby card images from the classics as well as the history behind the casting and production. Two images that stand out in my memory are the eerie appearance of the zombie himself in I Walked with a Zombie and the famous still of him casting his shadow on the wall of a woman’s bedroom. I had seen White Zombie on local television as a kid (I wanted to watch this one again this year as well but didn’t get around to it), but I didn’t get to see I Walked with a Zombie until a few years after I learned about it in the book. To me, Romero’s flesh-eating ghouls never were true “zombies” (Romero, of course, never used the term to describe them, either, but popular culture decided otherwise). To me, a zombie was something even more frightening. A ghoul was just a shell, but a zombie still had your silent consciousness. You were dead, but you were not. Your soul was trapped somewhere in between life and death, and your body walked under some force beyond your control. Being eaten by a walking corpse is no more frightening than being eaten by a bear, but walking the earth and committing perhaps terrible deeds with a complete absence of will? Slavery of the soul and the body through ancient magic. That is real horror.

Fallen and Diary of a Madman

            Slavery of the soul and body provide the perfect segue into this pair of classics. From a plot standpoint, Fallen and Diary of a Madman are very close to the same movie. An evil entity, as old as time itself, exists in the world without its own face or form, and it passes from living soul to living soul to sustain itself, forcing each of its hosts to do its absolute bidding. In the classic Diary of a Madman, it is the Horla, a sentient force of evil that feeds on the sanity of its victims and drives them to commit acts of murder.

The green-eyed monster is real, and he's gonna getcha.
In Fallen, it is the obvious hint of the title, one of many fallen angels cursed to live without form, passing from one human host to the next and typically disposing of their previous hosts in terrible ways to keep their existence a secret. The cast makes the movie in both cases. We have the essential Vincent Price and Nancy Kovack suffering under the power of the Horla while Denzel Washington and John Goodman investigate the victims of the fallen angel. Vincent Price and John Goodman generally are the only names I need to hear to get me to watch a movie. Masters.

I hadn’t seen Fallen for quite a few years, but Diary of a Madman is perhaps my second favorite Vincent Price movie and one of my annual traditions. When I watch it, of course, I go with a horror host presentation from the great Dr. Paul Bearer, and I'll talk more about him later.

Teeth

            I can get into it pretty hard with this one. It’s one of the best contemporary horror movies and social commentary I have ever seen. It sets itself up as a parody of B-movie horror, teenage sex comedy, and small town sexual repression, and the latter is a subject that I take so seriously at times from personal experience that it can make my enjoyment of this wonderful horror movie rather difficult. When I watched it this October, those angry feelings crept up in me again and pretty much took over my entire commentary as I watched it.


            I might as well get this little story over with. I lived in Florida during my middle school years, and it was there that I endured my first round of sex education in science class. It was all rather clinical, and, despite puberty, I had no real interest in sex. I don’t know if I would call myself asexual, but I still don’t find any urge to engage with anyone else intimately beyond a hug. People found me easy to like, and I was a good listener and friend who could be trusted to be just that: a friend, not looking for anything more. This led to me becoming the confidant for several of my friends who were beginning to engage in sex as early as the age of 12. I couldn’t begin to tell any of those stories here, not because I was sworn to secrecy but because I couldn’t wrap my head around many of these stories. It wasn’t the sort of hormonal tension I suffered from, and perhaps that was in part because I suffered from a hormonal imbalance in the first place due to antidepressant medication. I was mistaken for a girl a lot, and my experiences with bullies left me feeling less inclined than ever to think about any human contact on an intimate level. So I listened and tried to be a good friend to the people who treated me with kindness in my life. I heard tales of some of my friends suffering from complete upheaval of their lives, and I learned very quickly just how sleazy young men could be from the moment they reached puberty. I had many close friends who were girls and trusted me with their stories, and I went on to hear bragging from their boyfriends in the locker room to confirm those stories. It took all I had not to beat the living shit out of a few of those guys. This was WITH the benefit of sex education in school, and it was a difficult time for many young people I knew.

            When I hit the ninth grade, my family moved back to Texas, all of this went away. It was difficult to adjust to returning to my childhood home, and I became more withdrawn. It wasn’t until I was a senior that I began to establish a few similar relationships with people, but my grade school life was nearly over by then. The important point, however, is what happened in the ninth grade in Texas. When sex education rolled around again, it seemed just as normal and matter-of-fact as it did in Florida, but there were some new details. Condoms and STDs had become part of the discussion, and I didn’t know that something was going off the rails behind the scenes. The only concern I had about the whole situation was that my biology class was my most difficult class upon my return to Texas and the source of the most stress for me. Despite having known a lot of classmates since elementary school, I still felt like the new kid, and the biggest stress for me in sex education was that we had a group assignment. I hated group assignments. I usually ended up doing all the work. Additionally, this assignment was to take place mostly as homework outside of class. We were intended to get together as our groups and talk about these subjects amongst ourselves and to talk to other people about it, and this was to be a decent chunk of our grade.

            One day in biology class, we watched the video Time Out featuring Magic Johnson and Arsenio Hall. It was big news at the time when Johnson discovered he had HIV, and this was the early 1990s. AIDS was the biggest scare going, and it had become more accepted that this was not just a homosexually transmitted disease and never truly was at all. The NEXT DAY, my teacher came into class with a sour look on her face. Sex education was over. Done. Out of the curriculum completely, and she wouldn’t (couldn’t) discuss it further. All of the material and assignments she had given us in the few days prior to that were canceled. We were to throw them away and forget about them, and that was the last thing she said about it. That was it, like the last few days never happened. At the time, I was relieved because of how much displeasure I had in the amount of human interaction I was supposed to have in these assignments, but I still remember the look on my teacher’s face. I didn’t realize the truth of the situation. The school had gone abstinence-only, and “don’t do it” became the new topic of auditorium presentations. It didn’t seem like a big deal to me because I didn’t really care about sex. I only cared about myself and getting out of those assignments, but I started to remember some of those past friends who trusted me with their stories. I tried to imagine how much more difficult it would have been for some of them in a more conservative environment, and, as an adult seeking certification for teaching, I began to see some of those effects from the other side of the desk. I won’t tell those stories, either.

Teeth is a perfect example of the negative impact of repression with a horror twist. Don’t think about it. Don’t do it. Make promises to each other and to God that you won’t do it until you’re married. Suppress everything. Suppress everything so deeply that a young girl has no idea how her own vagina is supposed to look or behave. This sort of education has never worked, and it never will. As shown in the movie, some imaginary monster like The Black Scorpion is the fearful response to masturbation curiosity. You’re taught to fear reprisal from unseen forces for even the attempt to understand self-pleasure. You’re supposed to feel guilty about it. Abstinence-only is simply teaching deliberate ignorance, and the confusion of that hormonal repression leads to increases in rape and teen pregnancy because kids are unable to approach it normally. There needs to be a dialogue, or we’re just animals. Teeth is an evolutionary response to these negative effects of abstinence-only environments. If someone can’t depend upon that environment for safety from predators, then that someone has to adapt to survive, and we see the gender separation of sex on full display as men are supposed to hunt and conquer while women are supposed to be pure and chaste. The contradiction is mind-boggling. Rape and abuse shouldn’t have to be things to bring about these adaptations, but they are reality. If you can’t respect someone else’s body with regard to your own hormonal urges, then you should be prepared to lose a finger… or more. Of course, this is science fiction, and we see the nuclear power plant towers from almost every outdoor shot. The audience knows that a radioactive mutation has taken place, but it’s never given the focus of the story. The focus is on social views of sex, and it’s one of the best examples I’ve seen of it yet.

Troll

            Teeth is a difficult subject for me even though I love the movie so much, so let’s dial it back to a simpler pleasure. Troll is one of my all-time favorite movies. Michael Moriarty was my Harry Potter, and he gave one of my favorite horror performances of all time in Q The Winged Serpent.

Now THIS is a sorting hat.
            I don’t think I’ve ever loved June Lockhart more than I did in this movie, and, of course, we have a slightly older Atreyu from The Neverending Story, Noah Hathaway, as our young hero trying to save his sister and his family from supernatural forces. Those three people were the reason I first saw Troll. As much as I loved puppets and horror effects, Moriarty, Lockhart, and Hathaway were the lure, and they hooked me on this movie forever. Practical effects remain an important detail for me in movies, and I still have a hard time with CGI. Troll became one of the prototypes for Charles Band’s Full Moon Pictures, and these were the sorts of effects his studio would continue to use as much as possible. The budgets didn’t have to be big nor the plots Oscar-worthy, but the make-up, stop-motion and puppetry always had to be top-notch. This visual representation of the imagination is what I love most about movies. These effects can be taken for granted as unrealistic by many today, but, for me, nothing looks more realistic than some of the effects you see in movies like Troll. The dinosaurs in Jurassic Park don’t look like real dinosaurs to me. I love Jurassic Park, but the dinosaurs look even less realistic now than they did twenty years ago. That’s just my take on effects. Godzilla doesn’t look like a man in a suit to me. I can accept a CGI version of him, but it’s not the same. CGI effects look to me like a video game graphics version of Who Framed Roger Rabbit? You can see the seams that separate reality, and it stands out a lot more to me than a visible suspension wire or zipper on the back of a costume.

Stay tuned for part three, which I'll be dedicating mostly to the horror greatness of James Karen and Tom Atkins, and I'll talk, perhaps at great length, about Halloween III: Season of the Witch.

No comments:

Post a Comment