Monday, August 3, 2015

GHWP Live Tweet Aug 4, 2015 - "10 Tue" Movie - Immortal Combat

     We lost a great man this past week. As a childhood wrestling fan of the 80s, I held Roddy Piper high among my favorite professional wrestling performers, and I loved him as an actor, too. I think Piper was the first villain (or heel, as the wrestling business calls them) I ever wanted to see more than a hero on the screen or stage, but he could play a hell of a hero as well when he retired the kilt and went into feature film acting. The man was a first class performer, and he is missed.

     I intended to take this Tuesday off and just show some Spectreman reruns, but the passing of the Hot Rod is weighing upon me too heavily. With that in mind, I am implementing something new a little early with the first GHWP 10 O'Clock Tuesday Movie.

I'm not an artist, and I barely stumble my way through Microsoft Paint. Don't ask for a lot in graphics.
      Granted, the first few GHWP live tweets were for movies before Spectreman took over, but I want to get back into the additional material I saved up from previous tweets and conversations. As a result, as stated in the last blog post, new Spectreman live tweets will be happening exclusively on Friday nights now after #Bmoviemaniacs. If Spectreman shows up on the Tuesday night schedule after #TrashTue, then expect it to be a repeat performance of earlier episodes on a night I am unavailable. I don't expect to be unavailable on any late Friday nights, but Tuesday evenings could be changing in the very near future.

     Surely no one in the #mondayactionmovie crowd is saying, "Hey, we already did a Piper tribute," so Tuesday night, Gaping Head Wound Playhouse spreads some Piper love with Immortal Combat. Piper stars with Meg Foster, Sonny Chiba, and "Tiny" Lister in this action spectacle that dares to tell you straight to your face, "Why, no, we're not cashing on on the success of Mortal Kombat. What could have given you that idea?"


     I saw this the first and only time paired with They Live as part of a Roddy Piper double feature and physical education night on TNT MonsterVision with Joe Bob Briggs on August 8, 1998. Although Joe Bob's Summer School should have catapulted MonsterVision into a long contract with its amazing guest stars such as Piper, Ice T, Clint Howard, Nancy Friday and even Stanton Friedman, MonsterVision was going the way of most horror host shows and would stay on the air only another two years before fading away.


     The televised broadcast version of this is available to watch on YouTube and highly recommended for the Piper host segments, but I will be presenting the unedited version. I would be watching this movie myself sometime anyway, so I figured why not invite anyone else to join in instead of taking a Tuesday night off from hosting?

     Filmed in Mexico, Immortal Combat is the story of a pair of hot-headed cops (Piper and Chiba) that are on the trail of a drug ring, but the murder of a fellow undercover officer pulls them into a plot of mad science and the supernatural. The investigation falls way outside police jurisdiction, so the badges come off as they travel to a Caribbean island to find the answers for themselves, uncovering Meg's growing army of unkillable soldiers.

Also featured: immortal Chippendale dancers.

     So join me Tuesday night for a healthy B-12 shot of Piper attitude, Chiba martial arts, and hypnotic Meg Foster eyes with Immortal Combat. The fun starts after #TrashTue's classic sci-fi night. Start time is scheduled for 10PM EST, but keep an eye on the #GHWP hashtag for a possible start at 10:15 depending on ample break time following #TrashTue.

No comments:

Post a Comment